Murray 1693 Scholar
Sayville, NY (Sayville High School)
Areas of Interest
History, International Relations, Public Policy
Before visiting William & Mary, the College blended in with a list of schools whose brochures seemed similar: picturesque institutions with challenging academics and enriching student opportunities. Reluctant to attend the 1693 Scholars Finalist Weekend, I traveled to Williamsburg with my heart set on attending a different college.
I could not be more thankful for the experience of the finalist weekend, for it completely altered my opinion of William & Mary, and with it, my idea of a dream school.
The moment I stepped foot on the Sunken Gardens I saw William & Mary's true beauty - not only as a lush, green environment but as a warm atmosphere where undergraduates have an overwhelming love for their school and peers. At no other college did I witness such a passion among the student body for their interests, both academic and extracurricular. At no other campus did I see students walking from building to building with such bright smiles as they talked to friends and waved to others from afar.
As the weekend came to an end, reflecting on the many conversations of politics and pop culture I had with current 1693 Scholars, remembering the laughs I shared with other students at various music rehearsals, I realized I did not want to say goodbye to this unique community. Eager to see what four years at William & Mary might bring, I ecstatically joined the Tribe.
- Spring 2017 Research Intern for the Project on International Peace and Security
- Research Assistant for AidData's Listening to Leaders Survey Team
- Orientation Aide for transfer and non-traditional students
- William & Mary Pep Band (drumline)
High School Activities
- President of the History Club
- Busser and Caterer at the Oar Steak & Seafood Grill
- Independent science research
- Secretary General of Model UN
- Captain of National History Bowl
- Percussionist for symphonic and pit orchestras
- Select Choir
- Jazz Choir
- Class Valedictorian