As part of its unique relationship with Richard Bland College, which shares a governing board with William & Mary, students at Richard Bland will be guaranteed admission to William & Mary who fulfill all necessary conditions for a transfer associate degree and who earn a minimum GPA.
Conditions that must be met by students who enter RBC in or after Fall 2011 and who are looking to transfer to W&M under the guaranteed admission agreement:
- Complete the requirements for the RBC Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree
- Earn a 3.25 cumulative GPA (excluding physical education courses). If courses are repeated, the original and repeated course grades will be included in the GPA calculation (NOTE: Those who entered RBC prior to Fall 2011 must earn a 3.0 cumulative GPA excluding physical education courses and including all original and repeated course grades)
- 45 of the 63 credits required for the associate degree must be earned in residence at RBC.
- Students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents and whose native language is not English must submit the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) as part of their application to W&M (W&M looks for the following scores: 100 and above on the Internet-based exam, 250 and above on the computer-based exam and 600 and above on the paper-based exam).
- Eligibility for admission under this agreement is contigent upon meeting high standards of personal conduct. Conviction of a felony or other evidence of behavior inconsistent with the W&M standards and honor code may be grounds for denying or rescinding an offer of admission.
- Be recommended to W&M by RBC by meeting with the Provost and Dean of Faculty at RBC.
- The application fee is wavied for Richard Bland students. Please choose "Other Fee Waiver" when you submit your applicaiton online.
Additional guidelines for applying to W&M under the guaranteed admission agreement
- It is best to have a 3.25 cumulative GPA or better at the time of application (NOTE: those who entered RBC prior to Fall 2011 should strive to have a 3.0 or higher at the time of application).
- Students can apply to transfer in the fall or spring semester. Be prepared to submit mid-semester grades for the current term of enrollment.
- William & Mary has a foreign language requirement and it is highly advised to complete this requirement prior to transferring. You can complete this requirement by: a) passing the fourth level of a single language in high school, b) completing through the 202 level in a single foreign language at Richard Bland. Depending on the extent of your foreign language courses in high school, you may be required to take only one or two courses at Richard Bland (example: if you complete Spanish II in high school, you need to complete Spanish 201 and 202 at Richard Bland). You should consult with Richard Bland Foreign Language faculty to determine placement, or c) consult the William & Mary catalog for other means by which to satisfy this requirement.
- Students who intend to enroll in the Mason School of Business at William & Mary should complete the following prerequisites at Richard Bland: Business 201 and 202 (Accounting I and II), Economics 201 and 202 (Micro and Macroeconomics), Math 201 (Calculus) or Math 207 (Business Calculus), and Math 217 (Introductory Statistics). Note that admission to W&M under the terms of the guaranteed admission agreement provides only for admission into W&M but not does not provide admission into certain degree programs in the Schools of Business and Education. Admission to these programs requires a separate application upon enrolling at W&M.
- Meet with the Provost and Dean of Faculty to discuss your admission to William & Mary and to review your program of study.