First, please read the Student Fact Sheet (pdf).
How to Apply for a Job
- Search this website for jobs that interest you.
- Contact the department to express your interest in the position. If you are receiving college work-study as part of your financial aid award, be sure to indicate that when discussing possible employment as priority is given to work-study students.
- Some of the larger campus employers have scheduled employment sessions planned and offer on-site interviews for interested students. Be prepared to complete an application for these employers and have your class schedule available.
How to Get on the Payroll
The following forms must be completed on or before the first day of employment (your employer should have them):
- Student Employment Initiation Form (Step One form)
- Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9)
- Federal Tax Form (W-4)
- Virginia Tax Form (VA-4)
- Direct Deposit (You are encouraged to sign up for direct deposit)
It usually takes a month before you get your first paycheck. Pay periods run twice a month. Therefore, if you start work August 16th, you will get your first check on September 16th. This check will be for the time you worked August 16-31.