For continuing students, we require the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To receive full consideration for aid, you must submit the form by April 15.
- Apply at www.fafsa.gov.
- The FAFSA is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, you should not have to pay anyone to submit this on your behalf.
- Remember that both a parent and the student must sign the FAFSA electronically using their FSA User ID and password. All corrections likewise must be signed by both a parent and the student.
- If you do not have a FSA User ID and password, you can obtain one here. You could also print out and submit the signature page. However please be aware that mailing the FAFSA to be processed manually with lenghten the time it takes for William and Mary to receive your FAFSA. The prefered method of submission is using the FAFSA on the Web portal.
- We strongly encourage that you utilize the IRS Data Retrevial Tool when completing the FAFSA.
- The FAFSA was available starting on October 1, 2016 for the 2017-18 academic year and will be filed using prior prior tax year data (for 2017-18, that means you will submit using your 2015 tax data).
- Our federal school code is 003705.
If you have not previously done so, we urge you to obtain an FSA User ID and Password, and you can do so here. If you are a dependent student, one of your parents will also need to obtain a FSA User ID and password. Your FSA User ID and Password can be used to make any needed FAFSA corrections and to monitor your status with federal aid programs. You will also be able to use it to sign certain Master Promissory Notes for loans.
Applications received after the April 15th deadline WILL NOT be guaranteed grant consideration. Funds are LIMITED, so apply on time!
There are several records you should have on hand when completing the FAFSA. These are not necessarily documents that we will need at William and Mary. Do Not send forms unless William and Mary has requested them as the type of documents we may need are changing. These are docments that will assist you with answering the FAFSA questions.
- Your federal income tax return and, depending on your status as a dependent or independent student, that of your parents or spouse. Do not send state tax returns. Even if you filed electronically, you must still sign the copy of the taxes that you send to us.
- Other records such as W-2 forms, business and farm records, and bank statements.
- Leave and Earnings Statement for military personnel.
*Note: If the above records are not available when you file the FAFSA, you should use estimates. Do not miss the deadlines!
When your FAFSA has been processed, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). This is a summary of the information submitted to the processor. Please review it and make any needed corrections. DO NOT mail this form to the W&M Financial Aid Office. Instead, keep it for your own records. W&M will receive the same information electronically, assuming that you designated us as one of the schools to receive your data. Questions concerning your SAR should be directed to the federal processor at (319) 337-5665 or (800) 433-3243.