Apply as a Continuing Undergraduate Student

For continuing students, we require the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To receive full consideration for aid, you must submit the form by April 15.

  • Apply at
  • Remember that both a parent and the student must sign the FAFSA electronically using their PINs.  All corrections likewise must be signed by both a parent and the student.
  • If you do not have a PIN, be sure to print out and submit the signature page. Our federal school code is 003705.

If you have not previously done so, we urge you to obtain a PIN at If you are a dependent student, one of your parents will also need to obtain a PIN. Your PIN can be used to make any needed FAFSA corrections and to monitor your status with federal aid programs. You will also be able to use it to sign certain Master Promissory Notes for loans.

Applications received after the April 15th deadline WILL NOT be guaranteed grant consideration. Funds are LIMITED, so apply on time!

There are several records you should have on hand when completing the FAFSA. However, do not send these forms unless William and Mary has requested them.

  1. Your signed federal tax return and, depending on your status as a dependent or independent student, that of your parents or spouse. Do not send state tax returns.  Even if you filed electronically, you must still sign the copy of the taxes that you send to us.
  2. Other records such as W-2 forms, business and farm records, and bank statements.
  3. Leave and Earnings Statement for military personnel.

*Note: If the above records are not available when you file the FAFSA, you should use estimates. Do not miss the deadlines!

When your FAFSA has been processed, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). This is a summary of the information submitted to the processor. Please review it and make any needed corrections. DO NOT mail this form to the W&M Financial Aid Office. Instead, keep it for your own records. W&M will receive the same information electronically, assuming that you designated us as one of the schools to receive your data. Questions concerning your SAR should be directed to the federal processor at (319) 337-5665.