Vehicle Safety Checklist
WILLIAM AND MARY VEHICLE SAFETY CHECKLIST
All drivers covered by the university's Vehicle Use Policy must comply with these and other university policies and regulations, and applicable traffic laws.
2. Drive in a safe and courteous manner, paying special attention to pedestrians and cyclists.
3. Keep a valid license in your possession.
4. Perform a vehicle safety check prior to beginning travel. Report vehicle defects and maintenance needs to the appropriate supervisor or vehicle manager.
5. Drivers and all occupants must wear seat belts.
6. Do not drive while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, including prescription drugs that impair your ability to drive. Alcohol and non-prescribed controlled substances may not be present in the vehicle.
7. Smoking is not permitted in any university or rented vehicle.
8. Do not use cell phones, two-way radios, or texting devices while driving.
9. Keep music and other noise inside the car at reasonable levels.
10. For each day of the trip, there must be one driver for every 400 miles driven. No single driver may drive more than 220 miles or three hours (whichever is less) without a break.
11. Do not pick up hitchhikers.
12. Be mindful of your physical and mental condition, including fatigue.
13. Do not leave a running vehicle unattended. Properly park and secure the vehicle when you leave it.
14. Do not drive "off road", except under limited situations allowed under the policy.
15. Be mindful of the weather, and avoid driving during severe weather conditions.
16. Drivers may tow trailers only with approval of the relevant university unit or official.
ADDITIONAL VAN SAFETY REQUIREMENTS
1. Keep headlights on when driving.
2. Take care loading passengers and storing luggage and other items by:
- Securely fastening all loads, regardless of weight or height, to prevent rolling, pitching, shifting or falling
- Not overloading the vehicle
- Securely fastening all doors while vehicle is in operation.
3. Generally you must be at least 19 years old and have at least two years driving experience to drive a van. See policy Appendix for exceptions.
4. Drive only within the Commonwealth of Virginia or within a 250 mile radius of Williamsburg unless specific written authorization is granted by the appropriate university official.
5. Do not drive between 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. without permission of Dean or Unit Head.
6. Vans may not be used to tow trailers. Overhead (roof-loaded) loads may not be carried.