All accidents occurring with state vehicles on official College business should be reported as follows:
- STOP IMMEDIATELY: Take all necessary precautions to prevent further accidents at the scene.
- SEND FOR HELP - DO NOT LEAVE: If you do not have a radio or cell phone, ask a passing motorist or pedestrian to assist you in contacting the Police and Emergency Services.
- GET THE NAMES OF WITNESSES
- DO NOT: Make a statement of any kind to anyone other than your employer, an enforcement officer or a representative of Capstone ISG, the auto service provider for the College of William and Mary.
- Contact the State Police if off campus (757-253-4923 locally or 804-424-6820) or W&M Police (757-221-4596) if on campus.
- Contact your supervisor.
- Contact the Risk Management office immediately following the accident (757-221-2742) and complete the Auto Accident Report Form (PDF). The form is also located in the glove compartment. This should be completed and returned to the Risk Manager within 24 hours. The form will then be forwarded to the state's automobile accident service provider, Capstone ISG.
- Contact Capstone ISG at 866-729-9655, unless the Risk Manager has already done so.
- The employee may also need to contact their personal insurance company. Many policies require that they be notified regardless of which policy covers the incident.
If an accident should happen in a pool vehicle, the driver should follow the steps above and also report it to the Office of Fleet Management Services in Richmond. The contact is Teresa Armstead (phone - 804-367-6936 or fax - 804-367-8987).
If an accident should happen in a rental/leased vehicle, the driver should follow the steps above and also report it to the rental/leasing company (i.e. Enterprise ).