Home » About » Administration » Emergency Information » Building Coordinators » Building Coordinator Responsibilities
Building Coordinator Responsibilities
Building Emergency Coordinators are expected to:
- Ensure that an emergency evacuation plan is in place for their assigned building(s), and or floor(s). The plan will include but not be limited to the following:
- Education of new employees on basic evacuation procedures;
- Ensuring that building evacuation routes and charts are posted near exits;
- Being familiar with all exits out of the building;
- Identification of assigned assembly points for building evacuees;
- Having a contingency plan for evacuation of persons with physical disabilities;
- At the assembly point, providing information between Emergency Management Team (EMT) and evacuees;
- Preventing reentry into the building until the all-clear has been given.
- Serve as liaison to the Emergency Management Team (EMT).
- Serve as the department's main point of contact to the EMT during Level 2 and Level 3 emergencies.
- Assess the scope for a department Level 1 emergency, taking action as appropriate.
- Initiate the department's Emergency Action Plan (EAP) when appropriate (for Level 1 emergencies) or when instructed by the EMT.
- During an evacuation, maintain a record of all personnel reporting to the assembly area.
- Receive reports from personnel assisting the Building Emergency Coordinator(s) and provide information to the EMT including personnel/student accountability during emergency situations.
- Notify required emergency groups and personnel in accordance with the College's Emergency Management Plan for all emergencies (Levels 1, 2, and 3).
- Provide assistance to the College's Emergency Operations Team as requested.
- Coordinate through Facilities Management Work Control to arrange for additional emergency equipment, personnel or other assistance.
- Complete an Incident Report Form for Level 1 Emergencies and submit to the Director of Environment, Health and Safety.
- Review lessons learned from incidents and drills with faculty and staff.
- Post reports of accidents or critiques of exercises for review by faculty, staff and students.
- Schedule and conduct departmental or building emergency drills.
- Conduct training on the College and departmental emergency plan.
- Maintain Building Emergency Coordinator Kit.